Sunday, June 16, 2024

The Earliest Years

 The earliest years are those of my life before the grocery store years. I don't know the ages of the earliest years and I remember but a very few experiences or rather I might actually be remembering what I've been told about those years in New Kensington, Pennsylvania, where I was born.
    I know we, my mom Dorthy (Dolly) and I lived in a small apartment in the Terrace. I don't know why they called it the Terrace but it seems to have been set aside for married women with children whose husbands had been called away to fight the Second World War, I see it now, the Terrace, looking sort of like a one-story cheap motel only with many more apartments in line. I believe the Terrace was farther up Seventh Street Since I was born in 1942 the Terrace years were probably about 1944 through 1946. My Dad (William usually called Mack or Mackie) was one of the older draftees, I believe he was thirty-two when drafted. Anyway, I remember two vague experiences, one was playing in a building across from the line of apartments in a large room where we the Terrace preschool children rode, pushed, and otherwise maneuvered some sort of toy conveyance around in a large circle. I have no latent feelings about it, I just remember it. The second experience involved 

No comments: